Range of Motion's goal setting system is a collaborative process between an individual and their coach. It allows us to set targets and (more importantly) the steps you must take to achieve them.
By setting goals, we are aiming to attain a specific standard of a task within a specified time. There are two types of goals we will cover in our system:
- Outcome goals: Goals pertaining to a result or final outcome.
- Process goals: The actions an individual must engage in to perform well and achieve their outcome goals.
Goal setting works for five reasons:
- Goals direct attention to important elements of the skill being performed.
- Goals increase performer efforts.
- Goals prolong performer persistence.
- Goals foster the development of new learning strategies.
- Goals affect psychological state: Confidence, anxiety and satisfaction.
This system will help you set SMART goals (specific, measureable, action-orientated, realistic but moderately difficult, time based).
You can complete the form below for up to three outcome goals (with up to five process goals for each). If you have more than three outcome goals you would like to set, you can return to the form to complete it again once it's been submitted.
Here are three examples of effective outcome goals with the target accomplishment date and the process goals to get there:
- Outcome goal: I will lose 10kg.
- Date: 31/12/16
- Process goal one: I will follow Range of Motion's Official Position on nutrition 6/7 days per week.
- Process goal two: I will complete a minimum of five My Fitness File sessions per week.
- Process goal three: I will continue to see my coach for one-on-one sessions twice a week.
- Process goal four: I will weigh myself fortnightly and track my progress using a spreadsheet.
- Process goal five: I will walk the dog for a minimum of 20 minutes every day.
- Outcome goal: I will take my enjoyment of training from a 6/10 to a 9/10.
- Date: 30/06/16
- Process goal one: I will introduce movement alternatives into my Multi-modal My Fitness File sessions to keep my training fresh and interesting.
- Process goal two: I will look at my training as an opportunity to get happier and healthier, not as a chore that has to be completed.
- Process goal three: I will use the ROMMER Training Buddies Facebook group to train with at least three different training partners every week.
- Process goal four: I will make a playlist of my favourite tunes to put on at ROM while I train.
- Process goal five: I will set two physical performance goals to give me something to work towards.
- Outcome goal: I will snatch 100kg.
- Date: 31/10/16
- Process goal one: I will complete a minimum of eight My Fitness File sessions per week following my current Olympic Lifting bias.
- Process goal two: I will make sure that all sessions done one-on-one with my coach are MFF Olympic Lifting sessions.
- Process goal three: I will organise a session with Dan to do a video analysis on my lift so I can see what needs work.
- Process goal four: I will start doing the Range of Motion Olympic Weightlifting classes.
- Process goal five: I will watch at least ten minutes of Olympic Lifting slow motion videos on YouTube per week.