A lot of Personal Trainers feel like they become qualified with a sound knowledge of fitness, but feel completely in the dark when it comes to running a fitness business.
Here are some ways to fast track your business development.
1) Podcasts: Immerse yourself in podcasts. Every time you drive your car or go for a walk, you should have a podcast playing in your ears. Focus on business and marketing podcasts (not health or fitness podcasts) and transfer the knowledge across to your industry. Instead of reading books, just search for podcast episodes staring the authors of books you’ve been recommended.
2) Accountant: Hire an accountant you trust, then pay them some extra money for them to teach you the basics of accounting. You need a professional managing your money, but you need to understand how they’re doing it.
3) Go deep: If you find a topic you need to know more about (like digital marketing for example), allocate tens hours to studying it. With ten hours, and access to Google, you can learn 80% of everything you need to know on most topics.
4) Find a Business Mentor: Someone you trust who understands your industry. It’s important to find someone who will set you actionable tasks after each consult, and hold you accountable to completing them.
5) Stop doing fitness courses: No matter how many boxing, yoga, pilates and post-natal courses you do, your business IQ will continue to stagnate. Courses are great, just do the right ones (business focussed).
6) Good artists borrow, great artists steal: Find a handful of Fitness Business owners you really respect and stalk every post they make on social media. Take take what you learn from each owner to create your own ‘style’ of running a business.
7) Ask more questions: Every time you don’t understand something, ask someone who DOES understand that thing to explain it to you. You’ll be surprised how happy they are to help.
8) START: The best way to learn is by doing. Even if you feel like you’re not ready, commit to starting. Once you’ve made the commitment to someone (other than you) you’ll have no choice but to find a way to make it work!