Jen Smith is a Subject Matter Expert in Gymnastics.
In this interview, Dan asks Jen about how CrossFit athletes can benefit from her area of specialisation.
- The single biggest thing CrossFit athletes neglect.
- How more focus on very specific areas of gymnastics training could benefit CrossFitters.
- How to incorporate more gymnastics conditioning into your training without spending more time at the gym.
- The smallest thing a CrossFit athlete could do to give the greatest benefit.
- What Jen would like to see programmed as an event in The CrossFit Games.
- What Jen will be covering at the Range of Motion Athlete Camp.
In 1987, Jen was selected into the gymnastics program at the Western Australian Institute of Sport at the age of seven. She trained for 9 years to reach her ultimate goal of representing Australia at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. After coming out of a two year retirement and competing at the 1999 World Championships, Jen unfortunately suffered an injury at the 2000 Olympic trials and she retired again to concentrate on her studies. She then became involved in amateur boxing while completing her PhD and qualified for the 2010 World Championships, where she gained a world ranking of 9th in the light flyweight division. After retiring from boxing, Jen was introduced to the world of CrossFit in 2011, competing in the team division at The CrossFit Games. She is now a member of the CrossFit Gymnastics Course staff.
ROMcast provides bite-sized chunks of health, happiness, fitness and performance. Presented by Exercise Physiologist and Scientist, Coach and Director of Range of Motion, Dan Williams.