Handstand Position Conditioning Exercise Improvement Program
- Session 1: In five minutes, set a max unbroken handstand hold.
- Session 2: In five minutes: Accumulate 90 seconds worth of handstands with back to wall and 90 seconds worth of handstands with front to wall. Maintain hollow and have hands as close to wall as possible.
- Session 3: In five minutes: Accumulate 90 seconds back to wall in a handstand and 90 seconds front to wall in a handstand. In both versions lightly tap one foot on the wall bringing it out to the other foot to find a balance position.
- Session 4: In a back to wall handstand, grip the fingers into the ground to pull both feet off the wall into a handstand, then return them to the wall. Progress by increase hand distance from wall. Complete three sets of five reps.
- Session 5: Accumulate as much time as possible in five minutes of freestanding handstand hold with partner spotting. Aim to minimise partner assistance.
- Session 6: In five minutes, accumulate 15 handstand kick-ups towards a wall. Aim is not to touch the wall but to stop just before heel contact and hold a static handstand.
Dan Williams is the Director of Range of Motion. He has a Bachelor of Science (Exercise and Health Science) and a Postgraduate Bachelor of Exercise Rehabilitation Science from The University of Western Australia, with minors in Biomechanics and Sport Psychology. He has worked with many thousands of individuals along the full spectrum of health, and has coached at The CrossFit Games. He regularly presents to corporate and fitness industry groups and mentors Fitness Professionals.