Push-Up Ability Exercise Improvement Program
- Session 1: TEST: Find a max weighted push-up. If you cannot complete to depth, find the smallest band with which you can complete one rep.
- Session 2: With a 5cm deficit, complete a slow five second lower to the ground. If you lose control at the bottom, complete using the smallest band possible without losing control. Accumulate 20 repetitions. Five minute cap.
- Session 3: Lower as far as possible before the chest touches the ground without losing control. Complete a five second static hold at this position. Accumulate 12 repetitions. Five minute cap.
- Session 4: Lower quarter of the way down, hold three seconds. Lower half way down, hold three seconds. Lower three quarters of the way down, hold three seconds. Lower to the floor. Complete four times in five minutes.
- Session 5: Accumulate 10 push-ups. If necessary, use band assistance that will allow the completion of all reps within five minutes. Add weight if required.
Dan Williams is the Director of Range of Motion. He has a Bachelor of Science (Exercise and Health Science) and a Postgraduate Bachelor of Exercise Rehabilitation Science from The University of Western Australia, with minors in Biomechanics and Sport Psychology. He has worked with many thousands of individuals along the full spectrum of health, and has coached at The CrossFit Games. He regularly presents to corporate and fitness industry groups and mentors Fitness Professionals.