Push-Up Stamina Exercise Improvement Program
- Session 1: TEST: Max unbroken push-ups (two minute cap).
- Session 2: Max push-ups in five minutes. If you expect more than 100, use a deficit that shouldn’t allow more than 100 reps. If you expect less than 60, use a band.
- Session 3: Max unbroken push-ups (60s cap). Rest 60s. Three rounds. If required, use a band that will give you 20 per minute. If you expect more than 40, use a weight vest and small deficit.
- Session 4: Five push-ups every 15 seconds for five minutes. Use a band/weight vest/deficit if required to make challenging.
- Session 5: Every minute for five rounds complete 20 push-ups. Use a band/weight vest/deficit to make challenging.
- Session 6: In five minutes, progress as far through an unbroken push-up ladder as possible. That is, one push-up, two unbroken, three unbroken etc. If you don’t think you will get past eight, use band assistance. Use a weight vest/deficit if desired.
Dan Williams is the Director of Range of Motion and leads a team of Exercise Physiologists, Sports Scientists, Physiotherapists and Coaches. He has a Bachelor of Science (Exercise and Health Science) and a Postgraduate Bachelor of Exercise Rehabilitation Science from The University of Western Australia, with minors in Biomechanics and Sport Psychology.