The effects of ageing on exercise
We know that exercise helps to slow the effects of ageing. But what of the effects of ageing on our ability to exercise?
Ageing brings with it to the exercise table the following negative effects:
- Reduced strength
- Reduced magnitude of reflex responses
- Slowing of rapid reactions
- Increased postural instability
- Reduced postural control
- Reduced control of submaximal force
- Reduced manipulative capacities and fine motor skills
But the news gets better.
EVERY SINGLE one of the above points can be improved by exercise. Every one. The key is consistency. There is no exercise bank that you can keep making withdrawals from long after you have stopped training. Exercise is a lifelong pursuit. The older you get, the harder it is to get the same results. But maintenance is easy.
Just stick with it.